As announced by Google in early 2018, Websites without SSL certificates will not benefit from Webmaster tools and will score relatively small SEO score. Additionally, the browser will show not secured before the domain name including google chrome and major alternatives like Mozilla firefox.
Here are the clear steps to setup free SSL for WordPress using Cloudflare.
1. Create your account on cloudflare.com
2. Select a plan, even free is worthwhile.
3. After adding your domain.com to cloudflare you will net nameservers from cloudflare.
4. Update those nameservers to domain registrar.
5. Now goto SSL/TLS tab on Cloudflare and set it to flexible as shown in the image below:
6. Now install two plugins named WordPress https and Cloudflare Flexible SSL
7. Activate Cloudflare Flexible SSL
8. Change setting for WordPress https plugins as the image descrives below
9. Now to go to Cloudflare dashboard and find page rules.
10. Select Always use HTTPS with *domain.com*
11. Now return to WordPress dashboard and goto Setting > General tab
12. Change yoursite address with https://
13. Note: Leave WordPress Address URL as it is. Click Save and you are done